Who am I - really?
Now Playing: "Today" by Smashing Pumpkins
Well, there are sure are a lot of quizzes out there and for some reason I keep taking them. I am trying to define just who I am, and sometimes the quizzes are actually right, and surprising, they are dead on more often than not. The quizzes are running about a 95% rate I’d say! So, here goes, who am I? According to the quizzes I am:
1) A FULL BLOODED FEMINIST – and I would have to say very much so yes, I am. The quiz says, “You believe in women's rights all the way and continue to be unhappy with the way things are right now and wish for more change. You are willing to take part in marches, boycotts and meetings that involve the amelioration of women's issues. You realize that society views feminists negatively but still are proud to call yourself one. You are appalled to see women who don't have a clue that "gender" is simply a term which the definition is 100% man made. If you feel a comment is sexist or makes you uncomfortable you speak up on it! You are always aiming to help others become aware of how much further women need to go and how society restricts them and predetermines their roles. You hate that feminists are so divided in themselves and believe that only if they are unified can they make a difference. We need more of you!”
2) A TOTAL LEFT WING LIBERAL – “Congratulations, you do not drink the Republican Kool-Aid. You haven't been brainwashed and are able to think for yourself rather than get your daily marching orders from the right-wing media. Mindless submission to our leader has no place in America. You, sir or ma'am, are a patriot.” – Yes, that is what the quiz actually said.
3) I am defined by the movie “The Breakfast Club” and the musical “Labyrinth” which I have to admit, I totally agree with because I LOVE both of those wildly.
4) I am best suited to be a “White Mage” followed very closely by “Black Mage”, so what does that mean? I think it means that depending on the right situation, I could be your best friend or your worst nightmare, so don’t push it.
5) LITERATURE NERD – “Does sitting by a nice cozy fire, with a cup of hot tea/chocolate, and a book you can read for hours even when your eyes grow red and dry and you look sort of scary sitting there with your insomniac appearance? Then you fit this category perfectly! You love the power of the written word and its eloquence; and you may like to read/write poetry or novels. You contribute to the smart people of today's society; however you can probably be overly-critical of works.” Yes, that is what it said and I relate to it utterly.
6) On the Personality Test I come out with this: “Others see you as fresh, lively, charming, amusing, practical, and always interesting; someone who's constantly in the center of attention, but sufficiently well-balanced not to let it go to their head. They also see you as kind, considerate, and understanding; someone who'll always cheer them up and help them out.” AND supposedly I am both Phoebe Buffet “Nutty and musical but loving and giving...to the point that you would birth your brother's triplets.” And Buddha “You are Buddha. You are a very peaceful person, you love all who love you. You are a cheerful personality, and you have a great sense of humor. Congratulations!! You are Buddha!!” Well, I am definitely Buddha like in shape (LOL), but I don’t think I would ever birth my brother’s triplets – he has six kids already, isn’t that enough?
7) My perfect Harry Potter mate is Remus Lupin, which makes total sense to me as my husband Matt is the spirit of the wolf and has been all his life. Duh, we had wolf wedding rings made, he is the only wolf on my ring and his ring has the four of us on it – our pack. No wonder my quiz said, “You like a nice, quiet mate with a little wildness hidden away. A true gentleman, he will not take advantage, you will have to take the first step. Very loyal, but very shy, it will be hard to win him over, but once you have mated, it will be for life. “ It is so very true it is spooky
8) AND, apparently I am the “Worldwide Freakshow Champ” which I do tend to agree with, and so do my co-workers and my truly close friends. “You are beyond weird. People pay money just to see how weird you are. Stay away from weird and normal people. Remember they're contagious. Take advantage of how special you are.”
9) AND apparently besides being all of the above, another quiz tells me, “I AM ASSERTIVE” – No, really?
“You assert yourself whenever it's necessary, but you're always polite and appropriate about it. You're not a bully, a manipulator, or a nag. You just state what you need quickly and honestly. You've been assertive for so long that it just comes naturally to you. You're definitely not shy. People wonder why you get what you want in life. Well, it's because you ask for it!”
Seriously, I totally agree with #9 and boy has it gotten me into trouble, and helped define who I let be close to me or not. It certainly weeds out those people who can’t take having a woman in charge, yes, in charge, because I tend to be a leader and take over things when I see that stuff that needs to get taken care of immediately isn’t being done. I will try to allow others to lead, and if they are capable, I am more than willing to follow a competent leader. I will not take the lead though if I am not being compensated for it somehow. I’d better be well paid and respected if you want me to lead, and those who follow better damn well know that I am in charge and hop to it because dissension in the ranks is a clear red flag on the heads of those who are asking to be fired and quickly. I don’t ask anyone to work any harder than I work. When I am in charge I give it my absolute all and toil mercilessly until the job is done. Those that can keep up and work right along side me, I reward lavishly. Those who can’t keep up with me, I try to encourage while I assess what they need and if they will ever be capable of rising to the level they need to be at. But, those who fail and show no hope of ever being able to keep up, I leave them for the sharks. It is better to weed out those that can’t keep up with my crew than have them pull everyone else down – especially in morale.
I’ve learned a lot over the years, and I know that I am demanding. I know that I used to be a terrible leader, unrelenting and not understanding at all. I've grown up a lot since then, taken management courses, read a lot of books on the subject matter, and have grown into the position better - now.
I let everyone know that I expect the closest thing to perfect that can be achieved reasonably - that's what I aim at - why initally try for anything less than that? I say it straight out and because of that I am often called blunt or assertive. I say it as tactfully as I can, but I think everyone knows where they stand with me because I am up front and honest about just how hard I work to make things run smoothly, and how hard I expect them to work as well. I know, depending on the task at hand, I can be "The Energizer Bunny". I have also met a few people with much more energy than myself and actually tire me (*cough - my mother-in-law Debbie - cough*)
This is in my personal life as well as my professional life. Does it sound cruel, or is it really pragmatic? Honestly – wouldn’t you like to know where you stood with your boss at any given time, and be given real goals, and deadlines, as well as rewards that reflect your true worth?
10) Finally – if I were food, yes, you heard me, food, what kind of food am I? Well, here goes: I AM LASAGNA! Yes, world, here it is, “Compared to most people, you are open- hearted and genuinely friendly. You go out of your way to make sure everyone is comfortable and happy. It's likely that you're a good cook, and you have a few signature crowd pleaser meals. You enjoy entertaining and welcoming guests into your home.”